Friday, January 23, 2009

Priestly Ordination

Tomorrow on the Feast of St. Francis de Sales Deacon Sean Morris, OMV a member of my community will be ordained to the Priesthood. What a tremendous gift for him, but even more so for our Congregation and for the whole Church. Each priestly ordination is a true sign of hope, that reminds us of God's fidelity towards His Church, I cannot stop thinking about Jesus' words "And behold I will always be with you until the end of time" (Mat 28:20), and also "the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it" (Mat. 16:18). Each new priest renews the presence of Christ in the Church and the world, each new priest open the gates of Mercy towards the whole world. To think that tomorrow our newly ordained priest will be able to celebrate the mystery of the Eucharist and to make Christ present at the altar so that the faithful can be sanctified is simply mind boggling. To think also that this newly ordained priest will be able to hear confessions and bring the Mercy and Healing power of God to all the people of God is also beyond our comprehension, indeed like Isaiah the prophet said "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts." (Is 55:8)
This is a day of rejoicing, when we sing the Mercies of God.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for Deacon Sean! I cannot imagine his thoughts so close to his moment of ordination. It brings to mind the DIALOGUE OF ST. CATHERINE, where God speaks of His priests...
    "They are My anointed ones, and I call them My Christs, because I have given them the office of administering Me to you, and have placed them like fragrant flowers in the mystical body of the holy Church. The angel himself has no such dignity, for I have given it to those men whom I have chosen for My ministers, and whom I have appointed as earthly angels in this life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY we get to call him Father Sean. It was a wonderful ordination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I gather the new Father Sean is in Hawaiian Gardens with you? I enjoyed getting to know him when he was here in Alton at St. Mary's. Please convey my best wishes to him!

    ReplyDelete