Although Medjugorje has not been approved by the Church and there is currently a commission from the Vatican in charge of investigating the alleged apparitions there, I continue to follow in the footsteps of the spiritual tenets of the messages delivered there by Our Lady. The reason? well, I was converted or brought back to the Catholic Church through Medjugorje, and I will gladly accept any decisions the Church will make in regards to the authenticity of such private revelations. So my point in this little blog entry is basically to remind myself and others who may read this blog, of the five pillars of the Medjugorje Message. Many have said that in the same way that David was able to bring down and kill the giant Goliath with five stones he had in his pocket (he actually used only one of the five), so we have been given five weapons to attack the strongholds of the enemy and to overcome the powers of darkness. These five weapons or pillars are:
1. Prayer of the Heart, which includes the recitation of the Holy Rosary
2. The daily reading of Holy Scripture and meditation on the Word of God
3. The worthy reception of the Sacrament of the Eucharist as often as possible
4. The practice of renunciation and penance, especially the practice of fasting
5. The need for conversion and ongoing transformation, especially by the frequent participation in the sacrament of confession.
I think these five pillars are very important, and although one may add others, these are certainly fundamental to any solid Christian spirituality.